AtosOrigin (Nordic) produces products that are sold as both off the shelf packages and with customised implementations. The development, testing and implementation involve many different teams spread across a number of locations. Atos Origin (Nordic) called in Acutest to review the testing approach to identify a unified way forward that would cost effectively reduce the time spent testing.
Acutest initially reviewed one of the product implementation programmes. This identified areas where immediate improvements could be realised and where improvements could be introduced into new programmes and ongoing support.
Following on from this study, Acutest provided a senior test manager who worked with the programme both to implement the review recommendations and to help deliver the testing for the programme milestones.
The three key areas for transforming testing were:
* Management information: redefining the information collected during testing and the way it was collected provided the basis for clearer management information about the current status of the product. This more detailed test information also helped identify trends and forecast when the product would meet the various quality milestones
* Structuring the testing using risk-based techniques, so that areas with a higher likelihood and impact were tested ahead of lower risk activities. This also provided managers with the tools to keep testing aligned with the needs of the programme
* Joined up testing so that the effort spent testing in early stages of the development cycle was recognised and built upon throughout the programme to speed up test preparation and reduce duplication of effort.
Other benefits from the assignment were:
* The defect process was redesigned to make it easier to operate as well as provide clearer management information.
* The management information provided to the product customers was extended to include the new testing management information, making the status of acceptance testing clearer to all involved.
* Prioritised actions to continue improving testing after the assignment completed.
Acutest delivered effective improvement in testing during this assignment. The programme met its milestones and delivered the product as promised.